One of the busiest times for us each day is the morning. As I am due back at work in the next few weeks, our morning routines are going to become even more important if we’re all to get out the door on time each day without meltdowns and tears.
Here are some of the things that we have found help to make mornings easier.
- Prepare as much as you can the night before:
- Breakfast – the boys eat porridge, so we have the bowls and spoons laid out, the porridge portions in them, ready to be made.
- Clothes – whenever I can, I lay out outfits for the boys the night before, although I can see that this will soon be an issue when the toddler wants to choose his own outfits!
- In the winter, if you can, lay out the outdoor clothes ready for them to be dressed in. We store all the winter hats, gloves and scarves together so we always know where they are.
- Work out a timetable and stick to it:
- Know what time you have to be out the door by and work your way back from there.
- If you have a toddler to contend with, give them at least 5 minutes’ warning that you are going to be leaving (whether this is you leaving without them, or you all leaving together) and say a few times in those 5 minutes to remind them.
- For little ones who can read or for toddlers, you could always put together a morning chart with pictures and simple words, telling them what they have to do: teeth brushing, dressing etc.
- Build in a little leeway, so that you are not stressing them and yourself to get out of the door each morning.
- Decide what actually needs to be done in the morning, and what can wait until later in the day.
- If you are both home in the mornings, take it in turns:
- One of you dresses the children, while the other showers, for example.
- Or one of you takes one child and the other takes another, if you have two little ones.
- Have your bag packed and ready to go
- You don’t want to be running around looking for things at the last minute!
- Leave the things you will need (keys, phone, bag etc) in the same place each day.
- Whatever morning routine you decide on, stick to it.
What tips do you have to make the mornings run smoothly?